How Can My Coronavirus Stimulus Check Be Impacted if I am Currently Going Through a Divorce?

How Can My Coronavirus Stimulus Check Be Impacted if I am Currently Going Through a Divorce?

As a result of the financial hardship that was brought upon by the Coronavirus pandemic in the country, the government passed and signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) into law. This is a $2 trillion stimulus package that is providing relief to people across the country. Each adult in the country can expect a one time payment in an amount determined by their most recent tax return. Most adults can expect to receive $1200, couples can receive up to $2400, and parents can receive $500 per child under 17 years old. Those in families of divorce can have a variety of questions relating to these matters, which is why it is important to continue reading below and contact an Alabama divorce attorney for guidance. 

If I Have a Pending Divorce Case, Who Gets the Stimulus Check?

If you are currently going through a divorce during times of the Coronavirus pandemic, you may be wondering how you will receive your stimulus check from the government. It is important to know that the check a couple receives will go to the bank account that you last provided on your recent tax return with your soon-to-be former spouse to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you filed jointly with your spouse, you may need the help of a divorce attorney to recover your part of the stimulus check.

How Can Child Custody or Support Affect the Stimulus Check?

During the times we are living in, there are many people who are going through physical and financial changes as a result of the Coronavirus. This can sometimes impact where the stimulus check may go. For example, the check will go to the person who is listed as the head of the household on your most recent tax return. If you filed jointly and listed your children as dependents, or your custody agreement has changed since you filed, an attorney may be needed to recover the portion of the check needed for your children. 

It is important to know that federal law still applies when dealing with child support during this time. This means that child support agencies are required to report any payments that are past-due. It is because of this that if you are not up to date on your support payments, it is possible that your stimulus check can be intercepted by the state before you receive it. When this happens, it is put towards your outstanding child support balance.

Contact our Firm

Stone Crosby, P.C. has proudly served clients in Alabama for over 100 years. Our firm has experience handling matters including divorce and family law, estate planning and administration, business law, employment law, class actions, consumer protection, business law, real estate law, among many others. If you require quality legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest News and Blogs