How does mediation work?

How does mediation work?

Upon filing for divorce, people will have to resolve their marital issues. In order to do so, they can enter court or go through mediation. When you enter into an uncontested divorce, you can solve your issues in mediation sessions with your spouse where you are encouraged to work together to reach compromises. During this process, a neutral third party will be present to serve as a mediator in these sessions. This individual can help guide you through the mediation process. They do not make decisions for you, but rather keep the conversation moving along and civil. Each spouse is able to bring their attorney to mediation to provide them with more comfort. Mediation is designed for couples to go be involved in an amicable divorce with one another to avoid litigation, which can be costly and time-consuming. The spouses can decide on issues such as child custody, child support, alimony and the division of assets. For these decisions, they may be more satisfied by going through mediation instead of having a judge make decisions in court, which can give them unfavorable outcomes. Spouses can decide in private together and make compromises that can resolve their marital issues.

Can marital issues be modified?

Once divorces are made, marital issues are still able to be changed in the future. As circumstances change, a current arrangement may be no longer possible to fulfill. Only the current circumstances are considered during the divorce process to make these decisions regarding marital issues. These modifications can be used to fit a spouse’s changing circumstances or to better fit a child regarding custody matters or child support. As factors for each decision change, the decisions may need to be changed as well. Marital issues can include a range of decisions, such as custody arrangements, child support, alimony and the division of assets. When children are being negatively affected by their custody arrangement, it can be a good idea to seek an adjustment. You can file a motion with the court to bring the case to the attention of a judge. This may be able to better fit the child’s needs and give them a more favorable outcome.

Stone Crosby, P.C. has proudly served clients in Alabama for over 100 years. Our firm has experience handling matters including divorce and family law, estate planning and administration, business law, employment law, class actions, consumer protection, business law, real estate law, among many others. If you require quality legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest News and Blogs

  •  How do I Prepare Sentimental Assets in my Estate Plan?
  •  Can Adultery Impact the Outcome of my Divorce in Alabama?
  •  What Should I Know About Elder Law?