What do I do after a car accident in Alabama?

What do I do after a car accident in Alabama?

Being in a car accident is never pleasant. In the best circumstances, the car will take the brunt of the impact. In other circumstances, a person can suffer serious injury and even death. If you were seriously injured in a car accident and it was caused by the negligence of another driver, you could be entitled to compensation, including lost wages, future lost wages, medical bills, and other effects.

What should I do after an accident?

If you are in a car accident, it is important to call the police and fill out a report. This will document the accident and establish fault. In cases of personal injury, death, or property damage exceeding $500, it is required to report the accident to the Alabama Department of Public Safety. If you are injured, seek medical attention. This will also document the accident and the severity of your injuries. Exchange insurance information, but keep the conversation to a minimum. After you leave the scene, you have the option to file an insurance claim or file a lawsuit.

Legal action

Most accident cases are settled through the insurance companies or alternative dispute resolution in a civil lawsuit. The statute of limitations for car accidents is 2 years. If you are successful in your lawsuit, you could be entitled to compensation. If you contributed to the fault of the accident, you may not be entitled to anything. This legal matter is significant and deserves an in-depth investigation. Whether the other driver or drivers are at fault for the accident, the matter doesn’t stop there. With the possibility of defective car parts or the liability of institutions, including bars and liquor stores that sell alcohol to those it shouldn’t, our firm will explore all means to help you get the compensation you deserve.

Our firm is dedicated to providing effective legal services, protecting the rights of clients facing significant legal matters. To discuss your legal situation with an attorney, contact Stone Crosby, P.C.

Read Our Latest News and Blogs

  •  How do I Prepare Sentimental Assets in my Estate Plan?
  •  Can Adultery Impact the Outcome of my Divorce in Alabama?
  •  What Should I Know About Elder Law?